Verstappen wins inaugural Miami Grand Prix over Leclerc after late Safety Car drama
Miami was a visit into the unknown in lots of respects. One factor that was for certain was that it might throw up some fascinating numbers – right here’s only a handful for starters…
• Max Verstappen gained at Palm Beach and at Homestead in his first season of automotive racing in 2014, and he gained in Miami at this time.
• It was his second consecutive win within the United States after his victory in Austin in 2021.
• Verstappen at this time moved into the top-10 in all-time podium finishes at this time, going forward of David Coulthard.
• Prior to at this time, Verstappen had solely as soon as gained on his first go to to a monitor – his house circuit of Zandvoort in 2021.
• Verstappen began P3 at this time – no one has gained from under the entrance row within the USA because the United States Grand Prix of 2005 at Indianapolis when Michael Schumacher gained from P5.
After a few robust races, Carlos Sainz was again on the rostrum in Florida
• In P2, Charles Leclerc took his first podium end within the USA – and his seventeenth profession podium.
• Leclerc – in automotive 16 – achieved his sixteenth consecutive race end at this time, the longest streak in F1 proper now.
• Carlos Sainz took P3 for Ferrari at this time, having solely accomplished one lap within the final two earlier races mixed.
• Both Ferraris made the rostrum for the third time in 5 races this 12 months. That by no means occurred in any respect in 2020 or 2021.
• Sergio Perez completed P4 for Red Bull, which means he would have completed within the high 4 at each race this season however for his last-lap mechanical failure in Bahrain.
• With P5 for Mercedes, George Russell maintained his document as the one driver to complete within the high 5 at each race this season.
• In P6, his group mate Lewis Hamilton completed exterior the highest 4 within the USA for the primary time in his F1 profession.
Yet once more Esteban Ocon received the higher of his illustrious group mate Fernando Alonso
• After dropping two locations late on to the Mercedes, Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas took P7, so has completed within the high eight in 4 of the opening 5 races this 12 months.
• Esteban Ocon was P8 for Alpine. The Frenchman began final on the grid, scored for the fourth time in 5 Grands Prix, and has crushed group mate Fernando Alonso in each race in 2022.
• Alonso got here house in P9 – solely his second factors end of 12 months (he was additionally ninth in Bahrain).